Ushuru leaped back to the summit of the FKF National Super League following a 3-0 win over Kenya Police in a match played on Sunday, July 15, 2018, at Camp Toyoyo. The Taxmen had dropped to third following Western Stima’s 2-1 win over Kangemi All Stars on Friday, with Nairobi Stima also rising to second after their 1-1 draw with Kisumu All Stars on Saturday.
Ushuru dominated proceedings early in the match and were rewarded in the 16th minute when Oscar Mbugua latched onto a loose ball to tap in from close range. The first half ended 1-0.
Police upped the ante upon resumption in search for an equalizer. Their hopes would get a shot in the arm when Ushuru defender Evans Maliachi was sent off for a second bookable offence in the 53rd minute. Ken Kenyatta would nonetheless call upon forward Maxwell Kavel, who was an instant hit, scoring twice in six minutes as the match wore on.
The win consequently sees Ushuru rake in 45 points from 22 matches, two ahead of second-placed Western Stima. Nairobi Stima is third with 42 points.
Earlier on Saturday, KCB edged out Isibania 1-0 in Awendo to move to 40 points, five shy of Ushuru, but with a game in hand. Kibera Black Stars also lost 0-2 to Administration Police at home while at the Sudi Stadium, Bidco United played out a 1-1 draw with hosts GFE 105.
- Nairobi City Stars 1-0 Modern Coast Rangers (Hope Center)
- Kangemi All-Stars 1-2 Western Stima (Hope Center)
- Isibania 0-1 KCB (Awendo Stadium, 3 pm)
- St Joseph’s Youth 2-1 Nakuru All-Stars (Afraha Stadium, 12 pm)
- Kibera Black Stars 0-2 Administration Police (Hope Center, 3 pm)
- Kisumu All-Stars 1-1 Nairobi Stima (Moi Stadium, 3 pm)
- GFE 105 1-1 Bidco United (Sudi Stadium, 3 pm)
- Kenya Police 0-3 Ushuru (Camp Toyoyo, 11 am)
- Coast Stima 1-1 FC Talanta (Mbaraki Grounds, 1 pm)