Thika Queens kicked off their quest for the FKF Women Premier League title with a remarkable come from behind 4-3 win away to Makolanders on Saturday, March 2, 2019, at Camp Toyoyo.
An outstanding start to the match by Makolanders saw Farida Nyarutso score a goal in the 17th minute, in between a brace by Sharon Adhiambo in the second and 20th minute. A 3-0 lead in under 20 minutes at Camp Toyoyo.
Thika Queens would, however, reduced the deficit in the 37th minute, courtesy of a strike by Harambee Starlets forward Mwanahalima Adam, before Makolanders goalkeeper Dorcas Vihenda was also sent off, the first half ending 3-1.
Mwanahalima was at it again, netting in the 68th minute to make it 3-2 before Racheal Muema levelled the scores only three minutes later.
As the match seemed to be heading for a draw, Mwanahalima netted her third of the match in stoppage time to grab all three points for the Thika based side, much to Makolanders frustration.
Spedag, in the meantime, was held to a 1-1 draw by visiting Oserian Ladies at the Stima Members Club, in yet another match played on Saturday.
Carolyn Omondi was on target for the hosts, with Brenda Shirikwa netting Oserian’s lone goal.
League debutants Nyuki Starlets, meanwhile, got their top tier campaign underway with a barren stalemate against Soccer Queens at the Ruiru Grounds.
Three more matches will be played on Sunday, among them a doubleheader at the Stima Members Club, which kicks off at 11 am.
Also Read: KPL, NSL midseason transfer window dates set
Round 1 Results
- Kisumu All Starlets 1-3 Trans-Nzoia Falcons (Moi Stadium Kisumu)
- Wadadia 2-1 Eldoret Falcons (Mumias Sports Complex)
- Vihiga Queens 2-0 Vihiga Leeds (Mumias Sports Complex)
- Soccer Queens 0-0 Nyuki Starlets (Ruiru Grounds)
- Makolanders 3-4 Thika Queens (Camp Toyoyo)
- Spedag 1-1 Oserian Ladies (Stima Members Club)
- Gaspo Youth vs Kibera Girls Soccer Academy (Ruiru Grounds, 11 am)
- Spedag vs Nyuki Starlets (Stima Members Club, 11 am)
- Kayole Starlet vs Mathare United Women (Stima Members Club, 1 pm)